Cloudistics will be releasing a hotfix to protect the hardware against Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities. For full protection, software patches for these vulnerabilities should be installed within the instances' OS's.
IMPORTANT: After installing a patch for Spectre and Meltdown within an instance's OS, shut down the instance and then start it, rather than just rebooting the instance.
Windows: For most Windows machines, the patches for Spectre and Meltdown are included in Windows Updates (see here for more details).
- Microsoft has identified a compatibility issue with some antivirus software products, so only machines running compatible antivirus software will receive the Spectre and Meltdown updates through Windows Update (see here for more details).
Linux: Most Linux distributions have patches for the Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities. To apply these patches, run your regular package manager to download and install the latest updates (see here for more details).
- For Ubuntu and Debian, run sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get dist-upgrade to install the patch.
- For CentOS and RHEL, run sudo yum update to install the patch.
- For Fedora, run sudo dnf update to install the patch.
- There are not currently patches released for FreeBSD distributions.