In the Ignite management console, you can take a snapshot of the current instance, revert to a snapshot, or perform maintenance on existing snapshots.
To perform an action on a specific application snapshot, click on the instance, go to the Snapshot tab, then click the button to the right of the snapshot you want to manage.
Taking and using snapshots
Taking a snapshot
- At the top of the Local Snapshots tab, click Take snapshot.
- Enter a name for the snapshot. This name must be unique across all snapshots for this instance.
- Click Take Snapshot.
Reverting a snapshot to an earlier version
Note that the current state of the application instance will be lost when you revert to a snapshot. All changes in the instance since the last snapshot will be lost. To save the current state of the instance, take a snapshot before reverting.
- Click Revert next to the desired snapshot.
- Click Revert. This will put it in a temporary revert state and no snapshots will be deleted.
- To return to the latest snapshot, click Return to Latest. No snapshots will be deleted, and the instance will return to the state it was in when the snapshot was taken.
- To make the reversion permanent, click make this revert permanent at the top of the page, or Make Permanent beside the snapshot it was reverted to. This will delete the snapshots after this point on the local side, but retain the snapshots on the DR side.
Start as new instance
- Click the ellipsis button ("...") next to the desired snapshot, then select New instance from the drop-down menu.
- Configure settings for your new instance and click Create instance.
- This will create a new instance from the state the original instance was in when the snapshot was taken.
Renaming a snapshot
- Click the ellipsis button ("...") next to the desired snapshot, then select Rename from the drop-down menu.
- Enter a new name for the snapshot. This name must be unique across all snapshots for this instance.
- Click Update.
- If DR is enabled, the snapshot name will change in both the local and DR locations.
- Click the ellipsis button ("...") next to the desired snapshot, then select View vDisks from the drop-down menu.
- From here you can clone and attach vDisks by following these steps.
Deleting a snapshot
Note that deleting a snapshot cannot be undone.
- Click the ellipsis button ("...") next to the desired snapshot, then select Delete from the drop-down menu.
- For manual snapshots, you can select Delete all DR copies of this snapshot to remove the snapshot from the DR side as well as the local side.
- When you are sure you want to delete it, click Delete Snapshot.
Automatic snapshot settings
- Click the ellipsis button ("...") next to Take Snapshot and select Automatic snapshot settings.
- Select how often you want automatic snapshots to be taken.
- Enter the number of local automatic snapshots to retain. Once this number has been reached, the subsequent automatic snapshot will cause the oldest automatic snapshot to be removed.
- Click Update.
Delete all local snapshots
- Click the ellipsis button ("...") next to Take Snapshot and select Delete all local snapshots.
- Click Delete All Snapshots. This will delete all local snapshots, but not affect DR snapshots.
Turn off automatic snapshots
- Click the ellipsis button ("...") next to Take Snapshot and select Turn off automatic snapshots.
- Select whether you want to keep DR snapshots and maintain the retention policy, or delete all DR snapshots.
- Click Turn Off Automatic Snapshots. This will also turn off DR.
Pre- and Post-snapshot scripts
You can specify pre- and post- snapshot scripts that can be invoked in an application instance whenever a snapshot is taken. The scripts must be created with the following names and locations:
- Windows pre-snapshot script: C:\Program Files\Cloudistics\Hooks\PreSnapshot.bat
Windows post-snapshot script: C:\Program Files\Cloudistics\Hooks\PostSnapshot.bat
- Linux pre-snapshot script: /etc/cloudistics/hooks/pre-snapshot
Linux post-snapshot script: /etc/cloudistics/hooks/post-snaphot