Total storage and storage allocation charts
At the top of the Storage Pool Overview page in the Ignite management console, you can view storage donut charts that display a breakdown of the storage usage.
The Storage Usage Distribution chart breaks down the Total Used storage by the type of data that is using the storage.
- The Template Usage metric is the amount of space used by templates in the local template store. The space used by a template is roughly equal to the used space on the disks of the template.
- When an instance is first created on the storage pool, Ignite will save the base image of the instance as a thick provisioned set of blocks. For example, the instance was created from a template; the template is stored as thin provisioned disks, so a thick provisioned base image will be extrapolated from the template. The instance will be created with 0 size and pointed to the base image. If a new instance is created from the same template on the same storage pool, the new instance will point to the base image created for the first instance. The Base Images metric shows how much space is used by these base images.
- Instances metric shows the amount of space used by instances, not including the base image.
- The Local Snapshots metric shows the amount of space used by snapshots of instances on this storage pool.
- The DR Snapshots metric shows the amount of space used by snapshots taken on other storage pools and DR'ed to this storage pool.
The Storage Overview chart displays the Total Storage physically present in the storage pool, broken down by how it is allocated.
- The Total metric shows how much storage is physically present in the storage pool.
- The Allocated metric shows how much storage is allocated to virtual datacenters. Due to oversubscription, this value can be higher than the total storage.
- The Allocated % metric shows what percentage of the total storage is allocated to virtual datacenters. Due to oversubscription, this value can be higher than 100%.
- The Total Used metric shows how much storage is used.
- The Data Reduction metric shows the storage space that is saved by reusing base images for multiple instances. where BaseImage is the size of the base image and Instances is the number of instances using that base image.
Storage pool activity charts
On the Storage Pool Activity tab, you can view several charts that show recent activity in the storage pool. You can adjust the time interval displayed in the charts between the last hour and the last year.